Saturday, 10 March 2012

Mad Men Dress Challenge

I made it! As mentioned in my previous post, my sewing mojo returned with the Mad Men Dress Challenge, initiated by fabulous Julia Bobbin. Here's my contribution, and I cannot wait to see other peoples creations and Mad Men adaptations. I chose to copy one of my favourite dresses from the TV show, and did some alterations with the neckline and skipped sleeves since I often wear cardigans or boleros with my dresses.


I have used my own pattern as usual, but I have done some alterations with regards to swayback and gaping neckline. I followed the swayback tutorial from Sherry at Pattern Scissors Cloth which in principle is the same as in the book of Winfred Aldrich, Metric pattern cutting for women's wear. However, there's still something wrong with the fit of my pattern. Stephanie from The Naked Seamstress has a nice and easy tutorial on how to cope with gaping necklines, and since some of my dresses sometimes feel loose over the chest, I followed her tutorial. The result of the two alterations I did, was a very tight arm hole. I won't do it over again, though, as it is absolutely wearable.


My next plan is to go back to my first basic block, or even start all over again, and do some fittings and alterations from scratch with the help of Winfred, instead of doing alterations on a already 5-times altered pattern. Better control hopefully gives me better pattern! 

 

18 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love, love, love your dress and it fits you like a glove! I'm happy my tutorial was helpful to you.

Miss Margarita said...

Den er fantastisk!! :D Helt perfekt rett og slett! Nydelig! :D

Lizzy said...

Great job!! Love it!! I also want to see what the others did!

Tilly said...

Ooh la la! It's beautiful! You have such a gorgeous figure. I'm feeling super jealous right now - I must make this too!

Sarah said...

What a fantastic dress!! It looks gorgeous on you - Joan would be jealous!

frk.bustad said...

Thank you so much, ladies! It really means a lot to me getting feedback from you all. As I mentioned, I'm not perfectly happy with the back, but I am a perfectionista after all...

The cool thing with this one is that it's all the décor details that take time, the rest was super easy and quick, and I even omitted the zipper since the fabric was fairly stretchy!

Stephanie: Very helpful tutorial. I think it was the combination of the gaping neckline and swayback adjustment that caused the tight armholes, but knowing this will make next dress even better... So thanks!

Tilly: I'd love to see your version of this, I'm sure yours will look fab!

Stephanie said...

Hello Helene, it's me again. Do I remember to have read somewhere on your blog that you live in Oslo? I'm flying to Oslo next week to visit my grandmother and was wondering if you'd like to meet up for coffee or fabric shopping or both :)

I'm only going to be in Oslo from Wednesday night to Sunday night and I'm staying outside of Oslo, near Sandvika, but I usually take a trip into town anyway. Let me know if you'd be interested and if you even live in Oslo :)

No problem, if you are busy or have other things to do or simply don't want to meet up. I just thought it might be fun as I have never met a blogger in real life before and you seem like a nice person to meet :) I always live too far away for these mega blogger meet-ups.

Well, let me know what you think. My e-mail address is thenakedseamstress AT gmail DOT com. I couldn't find yours.

Stephanie

frk.bustad said...

For those wondering: I don't live in Oslo, but Bergen, and I emailed Stephanie! :)

Linda said...

Nice dress!

Cherise said...

Such a beautiful dress and amazing colour. Love it! :)

grosir baju muslim murah said...

This is a great posting I have read. I like your article

Signe said...

Så deg hos Julia Bobbin nå!Fine Helene!!

Neeno said...

hot hot hot!!!!!

Michelle said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love your version of this dress! It suits you very well!

Lynneb said...

It's fabulous! Your version is perfect, and flattering for you! This dress challenge has been such fun, hasn't it?

frk.bustad said...

Thanks everyone!! I'm flattered...

Lynneb: It's been so much fun, and I'm eager to continue on more Mad Men inspired dresses... I want the challange to go on and on!

LilleLeo said...

What a fantastic dress!

Louise said...

Wow, this is astounding. Well done.